6th cent. -
Summary This is a post-Aristotelian Greek philosophical text, written at a crucial moment in the defeat of paganism by Christianity, AD , when the Emperor Justinian closed the pagan Neoplatonist school in Athens. Philoponus in Alexandria was a brilliant Christian philosopher, steeped in Neoplatanism, who turned the pagans' ideas against them.
Here he attacks the most devout of the earlier Athenian pagan philosophers, Proclusdefending the distinctively Christian view that the universe had a beginning against Proclus' eighteen arguments to the contrary, which are discussed in eighteen chapters. Notes "Paperback edition first published "--Title page verso.
Includes bibliographical references and indexes. Other Form Print version Philoponus : against Proclus on the eternity of the world View online Borrow Buy Freely available Show 0 more links None of your libraries hold this item.
- The Early Palaeologan Renaissance (1261- c.1360) (Medieval Mediterranean, 27)!
- Theory Theatre: an introduction.
- The Reason for My Hope: Salvation?
- Dynamics of Bridges, Volume 5: Proceedings of the 28th IMAC, A Conference on Structural Dynamics, 2010.
- Gene silencing by RNA interference : technology and application?
- Six Sigma: The Breakthrough Management Strategy Revolutionizing the Worlds Top Corporations!
Found at these bookshops Searching - please wait We were unable to find this edition in any bookshop we are able to search. These online bookshops told us they have this item:. Tags What are tags? Add a tag. Public Private login e.
Philoponus: Against Proclus On the Eternity of the World 6-8
Brennan and C. Brittain eds. Wilberding and C. Horn , in J. Press ed.
Sheppard ed. Supplement to the Bulletin of the Institute of Classical Studies Warren and F. Sheffield eds. Adamson, R. Hansberger and J.
Ancient Commentators on Aristotle Project - Wikiwand
Wilberding eds. Adamson , in P. Remes and S.
Slaveva-Griffin eds. Marmodoro and B. Prince eds.
- Philosophy of the Ancient Commentators on Aristotle.
- Stadia: A Design and Development Guide?
- The Surface Designers Handbook: Dyeing, Printing, Painting, and Creating Resists on Fabric.
- Bloomsbury Collections - Philoponus - Against Proclus on the Eternity of the World .
- Hematocrit - A Medical Dictionary, Bibliography, and Annotated Research Guide to Internet References.
- 39 Steps to the Genius of Hitchcock?
- Features & Highlights!
Irby ed. Melamed ed. Aristotle Reinterpreted. Bloomsbury, : Bowen and F. Rochberg eds. Hellenistic Astronomy.
Philoponus: Against Proclus On the Eternity of the World 1-5
The Science in its Contexts. Salles ed. Biology and Cosmology in Ancient Philosophy. Invited contribution; submitted. Publisher details pending.